RE: st: Royston's mvis ado and version questions

Subject   RE: st: Royston's mvis ado and version questions
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:15:47 -0500

At 10:38 AM 9/29/2004 +0100, Nick Cox wrote:

Even Stata user-programmers tend to start writing
programs using a new version's features pretty soon as it
is released. Sometimes that's essential for what
they want to do; sometimes it is just more congenial
to use improved language features. We are now some way
into the lifetime of Stata 8 and it's a sad fact that
those still on previous versions are increasingly
left behind in terms of being able to use the
full range of Stata add-ons.
As a sidelight, those who are at the mercy of others for software updates may care most about version 8.2 versus 8.0. Despite several appeals from me, I've received no indication yet as to when or if campus cluster machines will be updated from classic Stata 8.0, Jan. 2003. My guess is that, with a few exceptions, most routines written that specify 8.2 would also work fine on 8.0.

I suppose if you wanted to reach the widest possible audience, you could keep an old version of Stata installed (e.g. version 7) and write or test your programs on it. Or, you could do like Nick often does, keeping an old version 7 program around while also offering a new and improved version 8 program.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/