st: Re: further version questions

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: further version questions
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:37:22 -0400

On Sep 30, 2004, at 2:33, Stas wrote:

Can I pick from here on my own thing? Each time I update Sophia
Rabe-Heskteh's -gllamm-, some of the modules come out to be outdated,
which I only find out when it crashes. (I know -net install- should
work perfectly, but I found once that one of the older pieces was
sitting in a directory of -adopath- prior to others, and thus caused
problems until I deleted it from there). So for all five or six
ado-files I have to type -which gllamm-, -which gllapred-, etc., and
compare to the current versions on -gllamm- website.
I just had a private exchange this week with Rich Goldstein, who was bitten by this issue of having a copy of a routine in a directory that occluded the file downloaded by net install. This has nothing to do with whether you're accessing gllamm from Sophia's website, nor from ssc where it is mirrored: it has to do with what is on your machine. StataCorp decided that it would be useful (and indeed it is) to allow, say, an ado in PERSONAL to occlude one in PLUS. For testing, that is great. But it means that you have to understand the adopath concept.

I don't have much hope for your 'requires' concept, since it would depend on user programmers faithfully including and updating that info. Not all include revision codes in their routines (I have to push sometimes to get a version statement, without which I cannot categorize the routine in SSC). I think a more useful tool (which Nick can write in two shakes of a lamb's tail) would be a 'whereis' that would do the equivalent of 'which' over the entire adopath: that is, in order of the current adopath, search for each instance of an ado and report its first lines. That would at least make it easy to see that you have multiple copies of a given ado on a machine.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics [email protected]
http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/