st: program names [was: ... questions on -heckman- and income decomposition]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: program names [was: ... questions on -heckman- and income decomposition]
Date   Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:29:41 +0100

Stas is in a delicate state, showing signs of middle-aged
grumpiness before he's finished his Ph.D. ....

Finding a good name for a Stata program can be difficult. The
absolute rules include

(1) You should not use a name used by Stata's own official
commands. StataCorp doesn't forbid you from doing that,
but otherwise you will have a job getting your program
to be seen. (If that command is part of the executable,
it will be impossible.)

and

(2) You should use a single name.

StataCorp have also asked that people avoid using proper English words.
The rationale for this is that otherwise your choice of name may be
broken by some Stata command introduced later, given that StataCorp
like to use good common words for important stuff. (Your choice
of name might be broken, anyway.)

In addition, there are clearly good grounds for not
using the same name as an existing user-written program.
SSC, for example, enforces this in so far as no two archived
programs can have the same name.

That said -- and avoiding proper English words is a good rule
for everyone else to follow (!) -- I've every sympathy with
a user-programmer who grabs a suitable and evocative name.
Among other things, you want to be able to remember your _own_
names. A quick scan through my files shows that I have violated the
"no English word" rule at least 20 times (adjacent chaos circular
concord disjoint distinct dummies examples extremes flower groups
levels majority marker modes moments nearest
reorder spell split etc.), either accidentally or
on purpose.

In short, let's not make too much fuss about other people's
program names, unless there's serious risk of confusion.
At worst, someone may have to change a name. Not a big deal.

Stas Kolenikov