st: Re: iso-

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: iso-
Date   Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:12:55 -0400

On Sep 24, 2004, at 2:33, Nick wrote:

In days when some scholars used to show
off what Greek they know, or had found
in a dictionary, almost every kind of
line showing constant values was given
a distinct name: some have flourished
in limited fields, e.g. isotherm (temperature),
isohyet (rainfall), isobath (depth).
Some failed to get off the ground, e.g.
isonoet (lines of equal IQ), found I believe
only in one study of IQ patterns in Tasmania.

Nick
Every elementary microeconomics text is full of figures containing isoquants (the combinations of labor and capital that yield the same output from the production process) and "indifference curves", which are iso-utility contours: combinations of the two goods that a consumer might purchase which provide her with equal utility.

My late graduate macro professor had it right: a bumper sticker on his door read
"When guns are outlawed...
Outlaws will have butter."

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics [email protected]
http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/