RE: st: RE: prtest and fweights

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: prtest and fweights
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:39:45 +0100

So simple that it would be a good user-programmer
project....

I think Stata's -expand- logic -- or rather psychology -- is this:

1. The user doesn't expect -expand- to be destructive.
In fact, the user does (and should) expect
-expand- to produce a superset of the dataset,
from which the present dataset could be selected
once more if so desired.

2. -expand 0- might be interpreted very literally
as "give me _no_ copies" of this observation, meaning
do not retain it in the dataset.

What's to give here? Stata decided rule 1 overrode rule
2. Not giving users traumas overrides biting their hands
with their own logic here when the consequence could be
very serious, a fundamental law of computing notwithstanding,
namely "Your punishment is that you got what you asked for."

An extra consideration here is what to do with

. expand -1

Here the -1 lacks an interpretation.

Perhaps it means "add an imaginary copy of the
dataset, making the whole dataset complex" but Stata only works
in real dataset space as yet.

For the moment, however, zero or negative values
are ignored by -expand-.

Richard Williams