Re: st: Re:multilevel model and gllamm

Subject   Re: st: Re:multilevel model and gllamm
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:08:09 -0400

I see now. I first understood that both varx and vary are the
measurement variables. Then your setup looks correct. There should
also be a way of making varz and varw regressors for the latent
variable, but whether you want to do that or not depends on your
interpretation on whether they affect the random coeffcients, or
directly the outcome.

Then also the unit correlations would indicate that you are making up
a model that is too complicated. All higher constants require lower
slopes means that all of your lines, i.e. the curves across all
individuals, are passing through the same point in varx / vary plane.
Does this seem plausible to you? Does it make sense in terms of your
problem? This is also where the model would become computationally
truciky and unstable, I suppose: the likelihood is going to be flat in
some directions, and the maximizer will stumble over it. Also, Stata's
-ml- does not like problems on the boundary when it cannot step
further than 1 for correlation coefficients. Did you receive any lack
of convergence diagnostic messages along with unit correlations?

Stas

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name