Re: st: xtlogit vs limdep

Subject   Re: st: xtlogit vs limdep
Date   Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:55:12 -0400

Yes, the scaling is most likely to blame. Stata scales to the variance
of individual random effects, and LIMDEP may be scaling to the overall
variance of the residual term. What you can do is to see if the ratio
of the coefficients estimated in Stata to the overall variance of the
residual gives you the same estimates as the LIMDEP ones. Try
something like

nlcom [depvar]x/(1+exp([lnsig2u]_cons))

or whatever syntax modification of that would be required to make it
work :)). The "1" in denominator may be _pi^2/6, or whatever is the
variance of logistic distribution is.

I think Tom Mroz of UNC is so tired of all those scaling things that
he is writing a paper now where he compares a bunch of papers that
used different models with different software, got different
coefficients and engaged in a hot discussion as to who did this right,
and who's got wrong estimates. He says, "nobody did, it's just that
they are scaled differently". BTW, this is also an issue of the
difference between the logit and probit estimates.

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name