st: -movestay- issue with variable abbreviation

From   "Renzo Comolli" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: -movestay- issue with variable abbreviation
Date   Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:05:02 -0400

I want to thank the authors of -movestay-. It is an important contribution,
and it will help me a lot.

I think there might be an issue with varlist abbreviations though.
Sometimes, abbreviating a varlist with an * causes the error message
"initial values not feasible".
It does not happen with the dataset the authors use for their example, so I
posted my own (admittedly contrived) dataset.

. use
. movestay income age, select(group race_2 race_3) // this works as intended
. movestay income age, select(group race_*)

The first instruction works as expected;
the second one does not (albeit in this dataset race_* corresponds to race_2

Separately, I would like to ask to the authors and/or the experts on
Statalist whether they have suggestions about modifying  -movestay- for the
case in which the dependent variable in the regime equation ("income" in the
example here above) is recorded in intervals (e.g. $0-$10,000 ,...) .

Best Regards,
Renzo Comolli