Re: st: config. mgt issue

From   [email protected] (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: config. mgt issue
Date   Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:05:46 -0500

Gregory Branch <[email protected]> wrote:

> We have a bunch of workstations running STATA for
> windows, and a server with multiuser STATA for Linux
> 64.
>
> My question is, are the adofiles (base and especially
> update) the same (portable) between these two
> platforms, such that they can share ado path
> locations? I would very much like to centralize
> updating of the adofiles, particularly with respect to
> add-on packages and our own components.
>
> Do I need separate adopaths for windows and Linux 64
> STATA for
> base?
> updates?
> site?
>
> If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing
> and could shed some light on it, I would be most
> grateful.

Stata ado-files are completely portable across platforms.  There are no
differences between the Windows, Linux, and Macintosh ado-files.  You could
share them across the network and everything would work.

However, I would not recommend that you do this.  Running Stata ado-files
across a network in this manner will be much slower compared to running them
while they reside on the local machine.

The best recommendation I can give for centralizing the update process would be
to write a script of some kind to handle this for you.  All it would need to do
is copy the directories and their files to each workstation.  Set it up as a
cronjob to run however often you like and you're done.

--Shannon Driver