st: xtnbreg interpretation

From   "Dan Exeter" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: xtnbreg interpretation
Date   Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:40:03 +0100

Dear Listers,

I am investigating changes in mortality over time across 10,000 small areas
in scotland, and am new to stata.

I have been using the xtnbreg command (random effects) and would like to
know how to determine the proportion of the total variance contributed by
the panel-level variance component.

Is it possible to obtain this from the values of 'r' and 's'? If so how, if
not, I would appreciate some help in interpreting these

many thanks