st: Bar Graph Questions

From   "Dasovic, Josip" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Bar Graph Questions
Date   Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:30:14 -0400

I have tried searching the appropriate places for help with bar graphs, but have come up empty-handed.  I hope that list members may be able to help me with two questions regarding bar graphs.
1)  I am creating a series of bar graphs of monthly numbers of deaths spanning almost ten years.  I get exactly what I want, except for the labels on the x (i.e. categorical) axis.  Stata, logically, keeps all the labels.  I would like to keep a subset of the labels (e.g. Jan1991, August 1991, Jan1992, etc.) and haven't been able to find a way to do this.  I have tried to remove the non-needed labels (i.e., Feb1991, March1991, etc.) from the variable itself and then create the graph, but to no avail.  Any hints?
2) One of the columns is of a magnitude greater than the other columns.  (While most columns values vary from 0 to 50, in one month the value is over 500).  How do I fix the yscale so that it is appropriate (i.e., goes from 0 to 60, say, and place one of those fancy breaks in the one column that is much larger than the others?