st: help with functions and expression: any ideas?

From   Kevan Polkinghorne <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: help with functions and expression: any ideas?
Date   Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:34:06 +1000

Dear Statalisters,
I have a dataset as shown with a unique id no (urno) and a date of an
episode of interest. As can be seen there can be 'multiple episodes' for
each unique id but also multiple episodes on the same date for each
unique id. I want to create an identifier (new variable below) that
labels each date as a separate episode for each patient (ie 1,2,3�) but
not for the same date. For two episodes on the same date I would like
the same number to be allocated (see below id 10069 & 166056):

Data set sorted for id and date

+---------------------+
urno        date 			new variable
---------------------
1.    29665   09 Mar 93 		1
2.    29665   19 May 93 		2
3.    29665   09 Aug 93 		3
4.    29665   05 Mar 94 		4
5.    29665   20 Apr 94 		5
---------------------
6.    29665   27 Jul 94 		6
7.    29665   07 Jan 95 		7
8.    78602   09 Jun 92 		1
9.    78602   07 Jul 92 		2
10.   100069   11 Mar 99 		1
---------------------
11.   100069   06 Apr 99 		2
12.   100069   06 Apr 99 		2
13.   131608   15 Oct 02 		1
14.   145132   30 Aug 01 		1
15.   145132   20 May 02 		2
---------------------
16.   166056   16 Jun 92 		1
17.   166056   26 Jul 94 		2
18.   166056   27 Mar 95 		3
19.   166056   09 Mar 98 		4
20.   166056   09 Mar 98 		4
I hope this all makes sense. Does anyone know a way of doing this? Tried
explicit subscripting but can seem to do exactly what I want. Unable to
find any clue for archives or stata FAQ.
Thanks very much
kevan