Re: st: mlogit and IV? polychotomous logistic model and endogenous explanatory variable

From   John Hendrickx <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mlogit and IV? polychotomous logistic model and endogenous explanatory variable
Date   Tue, 14 Sep 2004 04:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

The issue of endogeneity is different for logistic models. If your
data is aggregated, i.e. a multiway table, you could estimate a
multinomial logistic model as a loglinear model using -glm- or
-poisson-. In loglinear models, there's no distinction between
dependent and independent variables, there's no causal direction. All
you're interested in is whether there's a relationship among the
variables.

So one course you can take is to recast your model as a loglinear
model. Or you could note the equivalence between multinomial logit
and loglinear models to show that endogeneity is not an issue.

Final note: unfortunately, you can't solve the "polychotomous"
problem by referring to the models as "multinomial". I've seen this
usage criticized on other lists too :-(.

Good luck,
John Hendrickx