st: RE: mlogit and IV? polychotomous logistic model and endogenous explanatory variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: mlogit and IV? polychotomous logistic model and endogenous explanatory variable
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:02:25 +0100

My only advice is marginal to your main question.

The term "polychotomous", although common in the
literature, is malformed and based on a misparsing
of the word "dichotomous", whose elements
are "dicho" and "tomous". The term "polytomous",
also common in the literature, is more nearly correct.

Help stamp out this linguistic monstrosity!

N.B. this is a different kind of argument from
those in favour of "heteroskedasticity" rather than
"heteroscedasticity". In the latter case, there are
plenty of precedents for rendering the Greek letter
kappa into the English letter c, so one could be
sceptical about that argument.

"polychotomous" just got into the literature because someone
didn't understand the etymology of "dichotomy" and other people
copied that mistake. It's still wrong.

Ngo,PT, a.k.a. Thi Minh