RE: st: blabel(group) for bar graphs

From   Finne Håkon <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: blabel(group) for bar graphs
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:10:53 +0200

Thanks, Nick -

it's amazing what the trained eye can do with Stata's graphing capabilities and your solution responds precisely to the way I formulated the question for vertical bar charts. With a little tweaking, I can even accommodate it for stacking the bars in many cases and orient the bars horizontally (which was my original point of departure).  Nevertheless, the -blabel(group)- behavior when more than one yvar is involved still strikes me as odd.

-- Håkon

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 13. september 2004 11:51
Subject: RE: st: blabel(group) for bar graphs

If -graph bar- doesn't show the flexibility you want
one option is to knit your own with -twoway bar-.

Here is a long way round:

collapse (mean) headroom trunk, by(foreign)
gen foreign1 = foreign - 0.1
gen foreign2 = foreign + 0.1
gen max = max(headroom, trunk)
twoway bar headroom foreign1 , barwidth(0.2)
    || bar trunk foreign2 , barwidth(0.2)
    || scatter max foreign , ms(none) mlabel(foreign) mlabpos(12) xla(none)

Håkon Finne
> Thanks for the suggestion, Phil; but no; I actually want the
> group name and not the variable name (because I later want to
> remove the label on the category axis due to space
> considerations). The problem is that the group label is
> incorrect once there is more than one yvar.

Philip Ryan
> By specifying -blabel(group)- you have asked Stata to label
> the bars with
> the value labels of the first (and in your case, only)
> over()  variable,
> that is, foreign.
> Specifying -blabel(name)- will get you closer to what I think
> you want.
> see help graph -- bar --blabel_options

Håkon Finne