st: RE: Re:Is there any way ?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re:Is there any way ?
Date   Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:10:58 +0100

I am a bit lost on what you are trying to do
here. You seem to be generating samples from
a normal, but only wanting to keep them if they appear
really close to the target population
in the sense that sample mean and sample sd
are really close to the corresponding population
parameters.

If that's right and memory is the issue, then
you should test each sample just after generation
and drop it immediately if it is not up to your
standards. Or equivalently you could do something
like this:

gen prov = .
local j = 1
qui while `j' < 100 {
	replace prov = 50 + 10 * invnorm(uniform())
	su prov
	if inrange(r(mean),49.9,50.1)) & inrange(r(sd),9.9,10.1) {
		gen OK`j++' = prov
	}
}

That way, what you have in memory is just
	the last sample generated
and	all previous samples generated deemed OK

By the way, standard advice in the Statalist FAQ is

The current version of Stata is 8.2. Please specify if
you are using an earlier version; otherwise, the answer
to your question is likely to refer to commands or
features unavailable to you.

P.S. Stata is telling you why your code didn't work. First
time round it thinks that the

[1]

in

use ai[1].dta, clear

is a reference to weights. This also is puzzling. Presumably
you wouldn't try to -use- that dataset if you hadn't previously
saved it, but is that a legal filename with your (unstated)
operating system?

victor michael zammit