RE: st: Scheme error message

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Scheme error message
Date   Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:11:21 +0100

Schemes haven't been documented yet for good reasons,
because they are not yet stable. That is, StataCorp
are following the logic Constantine mentions. They
don't want to provide documentation which will then
later be broken. However, scheme documentation was
promised at the Boston meeting as coming pretty soon.

The same is true of many other things. None of the
low-level graphics stuff is documented at all. The
alternative of documenting _everything_ that is not
proprietary would undoubtedly bloat the manuals further,
most of the information however being too arcane
for almost all users.

Also, freezing Stata between releases, apart from
fixes, commits StataCorp to elephantine pregnancies
and deprives keen users of lots of nice things in the
interim. Just witness how interested several people are
in the enhancements to -ci, binomial-.

So I disagree here with Constantine.

More importantly, he and others agreeing have some degree
of choice here, e.g. choosing not to -update- or (more
realistically) just choosing not to use new features
added since release (but how are these known about if
they are not documented?).

Constantine Daskalakis is discontented: