st: open source

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: open source
Date   Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:43:32 -0500

I was at a talk given by a Stata user the other week, and he mentioned the open source stance of Stata to an audience member, since that audience member is the new chair of biostatistics, and he's an ardent fan of R. I'm not sure the audience member blinked at all.

R gets a lot of attention from potential users by being on the open source bandwagon. Why does the Stata Web site not include this phrase, "open source", prominently, or make the comparison with what Stata is and is not in terms of open source more explicit? I did not do an exhaustive search. In many ways, much of Stata is open source, or provides the same utility/flexibility.

For the record, I try to learn both Stata and R. I don't know other packages, and I barely have enough time for a little more than a superficial grasp of either.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/