Re: st: Help: Stata wont save a file!

From   Ronán Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: Help: Stata wont save a file!
Date   Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:52:00 +0100 wrote:
I have been working on a file all day and just tried to save it.  I use:

. save "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew.King\Desktop\AK_data_work.dta"

and I get:

unrecognized command:  save
The implication is that Andrew lost a lot of work. This highlights the importance of being able to reconstruct any changes you make to a data file.

One solution, in this case, would be to right-click the review window and get Stata to save all the commands. Or, if Stata was in a wobbly state, to save the commands to the clipboard and paste them into some other application.

Ultimately, however, the solution is to build a do-file as you work. Each time I make a significant addition to the do-file, I re-run it from the beginning to make sure that the results are exactly as I thought. All changes to the original data are commented, and any rationale that needs explaining likewise. That way, if I should be bisected by the tram, anyone can follow the progress of the data from raw file to final dataset. I know this sounds goody-goody, but it is, as we say in Gaelic, cíall ceannaithe (wisdom that came at a price).

Ronan M Conroy (
Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland