st: Overriding the version command

Subject   st: Overriding the version command
Date   Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:43:49 -0500

Is there any simple way to get Stata to override the version command and run programs written for a later version? Stata 8.0, Jan. 2003 is installed on some campus cluster machines, and unfortunately I am at the mercy of other people to get these updated. If my students download a program written for version 8.1 or 8.2 I would like it to run for them. The changes between 8.0 and 8.2 seem small enough that my guess is the vast majority or user-written routines will run fine in 8.0, especially for the fairly basic things I am covering now. You could, of course, just edit any ado files so they said 8.0, but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. Thanks for any advice.

In the future, I'll have to remember to get after the computing people to update things at least once a semester -- my guess is they don't even know that updates are possible and available.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]