Re: st: stumped with lincom after svymean

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stumped with lincom after svymean
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:16:56 -0500

"Robert Bozick" <[email protected]> asks about using -test- after
-svymean, by()-:

> Here is what I am trying to accomplish.  I have a continuous variable y, and
> a categorical variable x.  The categorical variable x has three categories:
> 0, 1, and 2.  I want to test whether y is different among the categories of
> my variable x.  My data are collected using a stratfied, cluster design and
> therefore I must use the survey commands.
>
> In previous versions of stata, I would use the code:
>
> svymean y, by(x)
> svytest [x]0=[x]1
>
> Stata 8 says that svytest no longer exists and that I should use the lincom
> command.  Maybe the coffee hasn't set in, but I cannot figure out how to do
> replicate the above code using the lincom command based on the information
> from Stata's help screen.
>
> So my question is two-fold:
> 1 - How do I test group differences using the svy command in Stata 8 based
> on my above example?
> 2 - Is it possible to estimate a one-way anova to detect group differences
> with svy commands in Stata 8 based on my above example?

Here is an example using the auto data (not that I remove the labels so that
my example appears closer the one above):

	. sysuse auto, clear
	. label drop _all
	. svyset, srs
	. svymean mpg, by(foreign)
	. test [mpg]0 = [mpg]1

When the -by()- option is supplied to -svymean-, the name of the variable that
we are taking the mean of becomes something like an equation identifier when
used with -test-.  The values of the categories in the -by()- variable are
used to identify which mean we are talking about.

Here is the output from the above example:

***** BEGIN:
. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. label drop _all

. svyset, srs
simple random sample (SRS)

. svymean mpg, by(foreign)

Survey mean estimation

pweight:  <none>                                  Number of obs    =        74
Strata:   <one>                                   Number of strata =         1
PSU:      <observations>                          Number of PSUs   =        74
                                                  Population size  =        74

Mean   Subpop. |   Estimate    Std. Err.   [95% Conf. Interval]        Deff
---------------+--------------------------------------------------------------
mpg            |
    foreign==0 |   19.82692    .6558681    18.51978    21.13407           1
    foreign==1 |   24.77273    1.386503    22.00943    27.53602           1

. test [mpg]0 = [mpg]1

Adjusted Wald test

 ( 1)  [mpg]0 - [mpg]1 = 0

       F(  1,    73) =   10.40