Re: st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing

From   Suzy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: destringing values led to Stata recoding them as missing
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:54:12 -0400

Hi John, This is all very interesting. I think I did lose the values as I did indeed use the force option. My variables came into Stata just like this:

Patient var1 var2 var3 1001 1235- V2347 456 1002 1233 143135 E28950 1003 38568 05476- 89076 1004 126 333 V5678

All these datapoints are explicitly coded - meaning that a 0 value at the end is different from a - at the end. This is exactly how it came in and looked in Stata when I imported the file. I needed to be able to have Stata convert the string datapoints to numeric. I just didn't understand quite how to do it - so I read the help online for destring. I didn't think it would convert the string datapoints to missing, but it did. There was nothing in the instructions to lead me to believe that it would convert the values to missing. This is the result of my error:
Patient var1 var2 var3 1001 . . 456 1002 1233 143135 . 1003 38568 . 89076 1004 126 333 .

I guess I won't be able to restring...is there anything I can do...other than starting from scratch?

Wallace, John wrote:

Hi Suzy,
Stata only recognizes variables as being either string or numeric - even if
the data look like numbers, they could be stored as strings.  Stata tries to
decide on how to store the data as it is imported;  from what I can tell it
looks at the first record in each variable (column) as it comes in and
stores it as numeric only if all the characters are numbers.  If a later
record in the variable has non-numeric characters in it, Stata will store it
as . (missing) and it should alert you that variable x has non-numeric
characters.  If you lucked out and the first record has non-numeric
characters in it, Stata will store the values in the entire variable as
strings.  It seems likely that this is what happened in your case - in other
words what you see as 1234 is actually stored as "1234".

When you destring that quantity you get 1234, as expected.  However when
Stata comes across "V234", that doesn't resolve to a number after
destringing, so it puts a . (missing) value in that place, exactly as it
would have done on importing.

From the way your question is phrased, it looks as though rather than
generating new variables with destring, you -replace-d your originals (and
used the -force- option?), in which case you're out of luck unfortunately
(hopefully you still have the original source?)

It might help if you submit a toy dataset to describe how your data look.
For example
Patient var1 var2 var3 1001 1234 V234 med 1002 1233 1431 small 1003 65 14-1 small 1004 2.4 333 large
In this case, Stata would bring "Patient" in as a numeric variable, var2 and
var3 as string variables, and var1 as numeric.

Now, had the data looked like
Patient var1 var2 var3 1001 1234 1234 med 1002 1233 V234 small 1003 65 14-1 small 1004 2.4 333 large Stata would have decided that var2 should come in as a numeric variable, and
you would end up with

patient var1 var2 var3 1001 1234 1234 med 1002 1233 . small 1003 65 . small 1004 2.4 333 large
(notice also that Stata will change Patient to patient, although it will
store "Patient" as a variable label)

Likewise, if you took the first example and process it with
.destring, replace force (which is pretty reckless, data integrity-wise), you'll end up with

patient var1 var2 var3 1001 1234 . . 1002 1233 1431 . 1003 65 . . 1004 2.4 333 .
Is this along the lines of your situation?

-JW