st: moving files from mainframe to stata

From   "Steve Barsby" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: moving files from mainframe to stata
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:27:33 -0400

Hello all,
I'm new to Stata, and attempting to move a file created on a an ole legacy
mainframe over to my PC running Stata.  I've asked this question earlier,
but in a different way, and the guidance I got didn't quite provide the
"hand holding" I need at this stage of my knowledge.

The file in question has a mix of compressed fields using PIC-9 and plain
strings.  Fields are all of fixed length without delimiters.  I've tried
using a shareware program called SparceRat, so far without success.

Can Stat/Transfer handle these kinds of files (we'd have to buy it and can
you believe that budgets are tight?), or are there other options for getting
this file into Stata?

Thanks for helping me out.
Steve Barsby