Re: st: More unpublicised dialog commands

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   Re: st: More unpublicised dialog commands
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:12:06 +0100

Thanks to James for this very helpful reply. And thanks again to all at StataCorp for arranging NASUG 2004 at Boston, and for inviting me over as a guest. It was a very enjoyable and educational trip.

Best wishes

At 20:24 26/08/2004, you wrote:

Roger Newson wrote:
>I now have another query about dialogs (which I also raised with Vince, who
>referred me to James). The official Stata dialog file -efunction.dlg-
>contains another unpublicised command, namely EXP, which appears to specify
>an expression button, which, if clicked on, causes an expression pallette
>to open, allowing the user to create (and graph) an expression by pointing
>and clicking. (Users can type -db efunction- to demonstrate this.) What is
>the syntax of the EXP command? And how many more unpublicised dialog
>commands are there?

EXP (expression control) takes the following options in addition to
the normal position arguments.

Unless I am mistaken, the only undocumented controls available to the
dialog system are the expression builder (EXP) and the custom color
picker (COLOR).

I have inserted example code for the expression builder below.

POSITION . . 400 300

HELP hlp1, view("help someHelpFile")
RESET res1
OK ok1, label("OK")
CANCEL can1, label("Cancel")
SUBMIT submit1, label("Submit")

DIALOG main, label("Test dialog") tabtitle("Main")
        EXP  ex_name 10 10 300 .,                       ///
                label("Create")                         ///
                error("Error message here")             ///
                default(x < 10)                         ///
                option(my expression)                   ///
                buttonwidth(130)                        ///
                onchange(script my_script)

-- James
*   For searches and help try:

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
  or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.