st: RE: missing values with areg

From   "Nichols, Austin" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: missing values with areg
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:13:44 -0400

You might want to start with [R] meta, then type -findit meta- to see the
wide array of user-supplied meta packages.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: missing values with areg

Dear Listmembers,

I have a question concerning the areg command and missing values.

Assuming I am looking at different studies conducted in 15 countries on
newspaper readership.  All studies are being conducted slightly differently,
but the all have age as the main independent variable and all found that age
has a big positive impact. They are all based on OLS regressions with
varying control variables.

I now want to conduct some kind of meta analysis, where I get some sense as
to how much age really matters across all countries.  From all I know,
taking the results (i.e. equations) of all 15 countries and trying to find
an 'average coefficient' for age won't work due to the different control
variables.  If I have the raw data sets, I could create a pooled data set
and then use the areg command with a categorical country variable.  My
problem now is that I have different control variables and they have missing
values if they were not assessed in a respective country, e.g. in Germany,
we used education as an important control variable, but the French data set
does not have that, but they included employment status and so forth.

Are there other ways to do this kind of analysis that allow me to use
differing control variables and that are more appropriate?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,

Matthias Kretschmer

*****
Dr. Matthias Kretschmer
Projektleitung Zeitungsmonitor

ZMG ZEITUNGS MARKETING GESELLSCHAFT mbH & Co. KG
Schmidtstra�e 53, 60326 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Telefon +49 69/973822-65  Fax +49 69/973822-529 65
E-Mail [email protected]

http://www.zmg.de
http://www.zeitungsmonitor.de