RE: st: Gllamm, random effects and splines

From   "Moran, John (NWAHS)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Gllamm, random effects and splines
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:24:31 +0930

Dear Stas

Thanks for your reply; I agree that the question was not well posed.

However, you did answer my query when you suggested that I "create day^2 variable and add another -eq- statement corresponding to it." This is what I had in mind, but I wished to be a bit more expansive in my ability to detect any "non-linear" trend over time.

What I specifically had in mind was something parallel to the set up in S-Plus NLME where the formula specifying the particular non-linear model (say, a one-compartment model with first order absorption) is by default included in the _random effects_ part of the call. These non-linear models are used often for pharmacokinetic data.

In the patients currently being considered one might expect the fall in creatinine over time _not_ to be linear and I was attempting (within a random effects model in Stata) to identify such a situation.

Any way, thanks for your suggestion

Best wishes

john

John Moran