st: RE: comparing logit coefficients

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: comparing logit coefficients
Date   Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:55:14 -0500

with "$ML_y1", noting the capitalization, it should run.
       In passing, I have a working paper that uses Monte Carlo
simulations to test the power of Allison's method and several
alternative means to test equality of coefficients across groups in
logit equations.  If you are interested, the paper, "Confounded
coefficients..." can be found in the Working Papers section of my
website, http://www.business.uiuc.edu/ghoetker.  Comments welcome of
course.
       Best.
       Glenn

       Glenn Hoetker
       Assistant Professor of Strategy
       College of Business
       217-265-4081
       [email protected]

       -----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Reynolds
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: comparing logit coefficients

       In 1999, Paul Allison published a paper in Sociological Methods &

       Research (vol. 28 issue 2 pages 186-208) about comparing logit
       coefficients across models.  I am trying to use the Stata code
that he
       included in the paper's appendix (see below).  In particular, I
want to
       compare coefficients for two logistic regression models, one with
men
       and one with women, but I can't get the code to run properly.

       Stata 8 seems to understand and define the program below, but the
ml
       maximize statement does not run, and it produces the following
error:
       "*__00000S invalid name ".  I've checked and double-checked the
program
       and my modified version of the model statement in the belief that
I have
       simply typed something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out
where the
       problem is.

       Has anyone used Allison's program successfully?  Any idea why the
code
       below does not run?
       Maybe my problem is with the maximize statement and not the
program?

       Thanks,

       Jeremy

       --Below I have listed the Stata code and comments from the
appendix--

       program define glogit
       version 6
       args lnf theta delta
       quietly replace
       `lnf'=$ml_y1*`theta'*(1+`delta')-ln(1+exp(`theta'*(1+`delta')))
       end

       ml model lf glogit (prom = undgrd arts dur dur2 prest female)
(delta:
       female,nocons)
       ml maximize

       The commands bracketed by PROGRAM and END define the estimation
problem
       in a general way. These commands can be saved in a DO file and
used for
       any data set or particular set of variables in the model. In the
ML
       MODEL command, LF specifies the optimization algorithm and GLOGIT
refers
       to the name of the program defined earlier.