Re: st: question on GLLAMM

From   Michael Ingre <>
Subject   Re: st: question on GLLAMM
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:32:15 +0200

On 2004-08-18, at 17.04, lm0542 wrote:

Dear Stata Experts,
I would like to estimate a model of occupational
choice of university graduates, taking as endogenous
each of the following 3 sequential decision nodes:
Dear Matt,

Unfortunately, not many people answers questions on -gllamm-. I try too, but not because I'm an expert ... Hopefully though, my small contribution will help to make others aware of the amazing potential of -gllamm- so that the user community grows to a critical mass, with more responses to -gllamm- questions on Statalist.

-gllamm- can fit a variety of choice models e.g. with alternative-specific covariates and multilevel structure of the data. Some of them are a bit complicated to implement and needs reshaping of the data, generation of alternative-dummy variables and the use of the -expand()- option.

There is a brief example of a choice model with alternative specific covariates in the manual (chapter 9) that can be downloaded here: Also, there are a few examples in: (chapter 13) but, the book does not discuss how to implement them with -gllamm-. There are however some .do files and datasets available for download here

My guess is that the forthcoming book by Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, Andrew Pickles, and Anders Skrondal will be the long time needed revision of the manual with direct references to -gllamm- You should check it out when it is released.

I was thinking to use GLLAMM for this purpose but
since I'm new to the program I'm not sure whether it
might be suitable.
I can't say for sure, but if you have longitudinal/multilevel-data and use Stata, then -gllamm- seems to me to be the obvious first choice.

* For searches and help try: