st: collapse (sum) versus egen (sum)

Subject   st: collapse (sum) versus egen (sum)
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:38:42 +0200

While aggregating a dataset using collapse some strange results were

collapse (sum) aantal, by(opl114)

Did not give the same results as the same dataset gave in other programs.

Checking with

egen oplantal=sum(aantal),by(opl114)

though gave exactly the same (correct) number that other programs gave me.
Can somebody explain to me how the summation (could) differ between collapse
and egen?

Ben Kriechel

Research Centre for Education
and the Labour Market