re: st: RE: xi3 & postgr3 graph options

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: RE: xi3 & postgr3 graph options
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:34:41 -0500

Although the help file seems not to mention it, -xi3- is by
Michael Mitchell and Phil Ender of UCLA, and -postgr3-
is by Michael Mitchell.

Neither appears to be a member of Statalist at present,
so I'd recommend them emailing them directly for support.

I've not used either program myself, being among the very
simple-minded souls whose needs are met by -xi-.

Thanks. You are missing out, then. I emailed Dr. Mitchell directly as well. Compared to R, Stata modeling statements make you work too hard. For simpler tasks with only two-way interactions, xi is useful, but even here it would be improved by access to the various coding schemes available. Postgr3 is like your anovaplot program but works with most Stata estimators. When coupled with xi3, which allows 3rd order interactions and all the various regression coding schemes (effect, helmert, adjacent, etc.), postgr3 makes graphical interpretation more rapid, more consistent, and for me, more pleasurable. My guess is that your "simple-mindedness" is made possible by your deeper experience and coding skill.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/