st: Re: RE: working out data structure

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: working out data structure
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:01:03 +0100

Armen,

Country pairs must be repeated; one for Vij and another one for Vji. The
bilateral trade value in Vij and Vji will be the same however when you run
the equation the explanatory variables will change (GDP, POP, Tariff..).

Start with the bilateral trade data. Expand this dataset with values Vij to
account for values Vji. Once you've done that merge the macro variables
(GDP, POP, Tariff, etc.) taking country i as the reference one. You will
have repeated macro variables for each observation of bilateral trade per
country i per year.

If you want to take a look to a ready to estimate dataset of this kind, let
me know and I will send you one.

I hope this helps,

Rafa