Re: st: data manipulation help

From   Toyoto Iwata <>
Subject   Re: st: data manipulation help
Date   Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:21:16 +0900

Dear Yumin and Dev,

> World Development Indicators has about 200 variables
> for each country. Sometime many words are contained in
> one variable name such as "Export share in GDP, %."
> Can I still use "reshape" under such circumstances?

I think Yumin can prepare a variable list at first,
namely a dataset with (variable number) x 3 construction
1."exact expression in the original database"
 (here i want to name "origname"),
2. identification number, and
3. name you use practically.

In the previous three countries and three variables example,
variables were lined horizontally by "vid" number.
reshape wide v, i(cyid) j(vid)

I think you can apply "vid" to the many variables
with "_merge origname" beforehand.