st: Syntax colouring (was Multiple Condition Statement)

From   Ronán Conroy <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: Syntax colouring (was Multiple Condition Statement)
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:53:48 +0100

on 12/08/2004 06:15, Philip Ryan at wrote:

> Be certain you are using the LEFT single quote as the leading character
> delimiting the local macro name.  That is to say:
> ... date`i'  should work.  Fonts don't always translate well on plain text
> email, so let me spell it out, as it were:

This is where a text editor that understands Stata syntax is invaluable.
Correctly quoted text will be coloured, but not incorrectly quoted text.

I do think that syntax colouring should be high on the list of improvements
to be considered for Stata 9.

BTW - found my copy of Stata 3 yesterday! It installed from 2 floppies...

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland