st: mvsumm and missing observations (part 2)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: mvsumm and missing observations (part 2)
Date   Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:01:23 -0400

Dear Kit and Nick,

thanks you for your prompt responses.  I understand your concern.  However, I am
applying -mvsumm- in a finance setting: I need to estimate the volatility of
stock returns using the preceding 60 months of returns.  Sometimes, I have just
1 observation missing...  and as long as this observation is part of the
preceding 60 months, I get no estimate of the volatility for that company's
stock (i.e. I lose 60 observations by insisting on a complete history).  I am
willing to make the tradeoff between gaining 60 observations at the cost of a
slightly less reliable measure of volatility.

In your answer you suggested to clone and reprogram your original -mvsumm-. I am
not a programming whiz - do you have any pointers?

This is a common procedure in finance - I think you may underestimate the demand
for such a feature in -mvsumm- ;-)

Thanks a lot!!  Jan