st: age adjusting complex sample survey data

From   "Thomas Torok" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: age adjusting complex sample survey data
Date   Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:22:39 -0700

I am using BRFSS (Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System) data and
would like to create age-adjusted prevalence estimates for several subgroups
with dissimilar age structures.

I can easily create unadjusted prevalence estimates using svytab and I can
control for age using svylogit to produce adjusted odds ratios, but that
doesn't provide me with adjusted prevalence estimates.

If these data were not complex survey data I would use the "dstdize"
command, but I am not sure if that command can be used in this case.

The CDC has published guidelines for age adjustment using the 2000 US
population ( and provides
code for Sudaan, but I have been unable to find any comparable guidance for

Tom Török