Re: st: Rescaling

From   Matt Dobra <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Rescaling
Date   Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:45:23 -0400

Cordula,

I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but you can simply create a variable that contains whatever valued constant term you would like, include that in your regression, and use the hascons option after reg.

gen constant=1000
reg mpg weight constant, hascons

Cordula Stolberg wrote:

Dear Statalisters,

Is there any way to rescale the constant in an OLS regression? I had to rescale one independent variable because the differences in the units of measurements caused huge standard errors in that variable. The rescaling solved the problem for that particular variable, but I have still the same problem of a very large coefficient and standard error for the intercept term. Is there any way to deal with this (what I would basically like to do is to multiply the constant by 1000)?

Thanks,
Cordula
*
* For searches and help try: