st: Re: Reporting Gamma Regression

From   Joseph Coveney <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Re: Reporting Gamma Regression
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:44:43 +0900

Stephen Soldz wrote:

> A non-Stata question, though I'm using Stata for the anlysis. I'm analysing
> cost data and have used a GLM with gamma family and log link. The question I
> have is regards reporyting results. Should I exponentiate the coefficients
> (eform)? If so, any suggestions on how to describe this? Does anyone know of
> published examples I could refer to?

Did you ever get an answer?

The examples that crop up on the Web tend to either leave the coefficients
unexponentiated ( this is
Willard Manning, Anirban Basu & John Mullahy) or seem to use predictions (mu)
and talk about changes in them
and , and maybe ).

Log-gamma models are discussed in J. Hardin & J. Hilbe, _Generalized Linear
Models and Extensions_ (College Station, Texas: Stata Corporation, 2001),
pp. 69-71.  They, too, didn't exponentiate the coefficients.

The one example of exponentiated coefficients that turned up (not exhaustive)
( ) didn't give
them a very snazzy name, analogous to risk ratios or incidence rate ratios.

Joseph Coveney