Re: st: halton sequence

From   Daniel Feenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: halton sequence
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:25:06 -0400 (EDT)

I have actually co-authored a paper using Halton sequences, but we used
Gauss to generate them (I didn't know any Stata at the time). The full
source for our generator is in Appendix B of the paper (
http://www.nber.org/papers/w4147 ), and looking at it I don't see why it
couldn't be done in Stata. However my Gauss is now weak, and I may
not be understanding my own code.

Halton's paper describes the sequences in a number-theoretic way which
looks like something only a LISP interpreter could do, but there is an
alternative floating point generater that Halton also describes (and which
is referenced in our paper). We coded it in about a dozen lines of Gauss.
If you are trying to do LISP in Stata, that would be a problem.

We did find much faster convergence with Halton sequences. I hope you will
give them a try.

Daniel Feenberg