Re: st: Adding new variables to an existing global macro listof variables.

From   "Dev Vencappa" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Adding new variables to an existing global macro listof variables.
Date   Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:24:49 +0100

Stata users,
 is there a way to create a global list of variables that starts empty and successively adds new variables to the list as they are created? I am trying to write something like:

use "C:\XYZ.dta",clear

global Xlist

foreach var of varlist lntoen lncap lntech lndebt{
sum `var'
gen mean`var'=r(mean)
global (add the newly created variable mean`var' to $Xlist)
}

*then take the minimum of all these variables
egen Y=min($Xlist)

The reason I am trying to use a macro is because I have to create many variables and use the one that has the lowest value. This has to be done within a loop for each of several years.

Any alternative approach to mine would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Dev