st: RE: normal linear (mis)scaling

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: normal linear (mis)scaling
Date   Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:55:50 +0100

I would generate lots of values from a Gaussian
and then take a big bite out of it, with some
randomness about the biting.

. set obs 1000
. gen normal = invnorm(uniform())
. qnorm normal
. histogram normal if (abs(normal) * uniform()) > 0.5
. histogram normal if (abs(normal) * uniform()) > 0.6

D.Christodoulou