RE: st: Winsor by group - still can't get it

From   "Kiousis, P. Konstantina" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Winsor by group - still can't get it
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:55:21 -0400

Sorry but I still can't get this to work.  I tried using a stata dataset as a test.  I used

use http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/data/macro/abdata.dta

After the forval, I get an error message 0 values to be winsorized.  I tried creating a local variable for max and min year and a few other things but for some reason, it still isn't working.  What would the syntax be for this dataset?  Thanks a bunch, KK

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Mon 08/02/2004 11:39
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Winsor by group

	-winsor- doesn't support a -by()- option or -by:-.

	Your options include rewriting it so that it does,

	or

	(say)

	gen winsor = .
	su year, meanonly
	qui forval y = `r(min)'/`r(max)' {
	        winsor response if year == `y', <winsor_options> gen(temp)
	        replace winsor = temp if year == `y'
	        drop temp
	}

	Neil Shephard replied to KK