Re: st: Is there a fixed effect quantile regression in STATA?

From   Bo MacInnis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is there a fixed effect quantile regression in STATA?
Date   Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:05:58 -0700

Thank you, Stas. You questioned: "Is this really how a quantile regression to be interpreted? " I checked out some papers on quantile regression on www.jstor.org. The following paper by Buchinsky, who did the famous wage inequality in the early 90's,:

Moshe Buchinsky, "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research", The Journal of Human Resources, 1998; 33(1):88-126

states that:

on page 89: "Useful feaures of the quantile regression and censored quantile regression models can be summarized as follows: ......, (e) potentially different solutions at distinct quantiles may be interpretated as differences in the response of the dependent variable to the changes in the regreessors at various points in the conditional distribution of the dependent variable; ....."

on page 98: "1. Interpretation of Quantile Regression Estimation, ...... How can the quantile's coefficients be interpreted? Consider the partial derivative of the conditional (theta-th) quantile of y with repspect to one of the regressors, say, x. ... This derivative is to be interpreted as the marginal change in the (theta-th) quantiledue to the marginal change in x. ... One should be cautious in intreprating this result. It doesn't imply that a person who happens to be in the theta-th quantile of one conditional distribution will also find himself/herself at the same quantile had his/her x changed."

Seperately, thank you for suggesting the -xtdata- and I will try it out.

Once again thank you,
Bo
a graduate student at University of California at Berkeley