st: Re: inappropriate

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: inappropriate
Date   Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:29:14 -0400

On Jul 29, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Gang wrote:

May I quote what he said: why my question is inappropriate? Who gives him
all the power to judge the others, the altitude?

Nick Cox has earned the right and power to express opinions which are respected highly by the vast majority of Statalist contributors and readers; as others have suggested, he is de facto the list's arbiter of good taste, and author of the Statalist FAQ (which Gang should read carefully before further postings if he wishes to get much help from the list).

Anyone on the list has the right to respond (politely): why don't you RTFM (that is, the Fine Manual). Those of us who spend a good deal of their time helping out Statalist posters have a limited tolerance for posts that appear to be versions of "if I can get human help rather than digesting the complexities of manuals, on-line help, FAQs, etc. why not let someone else write the program for me?" One of the very good reasons for this attitude is the concept of teaching a person to fish rather than delivering fish, nicely debomed, flletted and grilled, to their table. Some concepts are hard to learn to use, and reshape is one of them. If a post provides a clear "I tried this, I wanted to do that, I thought that's what the manual said to do, but it gave me this error" then it will probably receive some positive response.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/