st: Being nice on Statalist (Was RE: panel data command)

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Being nice on Statalist (Was RE: panel data command)
Date   Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:24:01 +0100 (BST)

Gang Peng replied to Michael Blasnik:

> May I quote what he said: why my question is inappropriate? Who gives him
> all the power to judge the others, the altitude?
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Now come on please. There is on-line help
> on -reshape-. There are FAQs on -reshape-.
> Possibly, you have access to the manual
> and thus [R] reshape. All these give
> answers.
>
> Sorry, but your question is not an
> appropriate use of Statalist. Please
> learn to help yourself first.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Far be it for me to intervene on something like this, but speaking as
somebody who has had his knuckles wrapped on one or two occasions in my
early days on Statalist, but I rather think this sort of behaviour is
beyond the pail. If I had responded like this to a helpful reply before
Christmas 2003, I think it's fair to say that none of my posted queries
would have been answered and I would no longer be on the list (having
left).

As Nick and Michael have both indicated (with good grace as well as
remarkable restraint), your original question was answered. Indeed, since
you have yet to indicate that neither of their solutions worked, one can
only assume that you ought to be satisfied.

You really ought to follow the rules of etiquette as noted quite
explicitly on the Statalist FAQ:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html

as Nick indicated. It's for your own benefit whilst you are a member here
as much as it is for anybody else.

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)191 222 5969
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps