Re: st: Spotado Download

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spotado Download
Date   Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:30:45 +0100

Elias wrote...

> Thank you for your suggestions.  However on trying I
> got the following output:

> ----------- search for spostado
>      (manual:  [R] search)
> -----------

>           Search:  (1) Official help files, FAQs,
> Examples, SJs, and STBs
>                    (2) Web resources from Stata and
> from other users
>

> Search of official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs,
> and STBs
>
> Web resources from Stata and other users
>
> (contacting http://www.stata.com)
> http://www.stata.com/websee.cgi?r=2&s=bds&o=w&j=a&k=spostado
> could not be opened
> > for read by copytextfile

The code you've posted above seems inconsistent, if you typed -search spostado- then you would only search (1) anove, but if you type -findit spostado- then you would search (1) and (2) as shown in the output above.

That aside it seems that you are now having trouble connecting to http://www.stata.com, which may be a problem with a proxy server if there is one in place, in which case you will need to enter details under the Internet tab of the General Preferences dialog (Menu Itrem Prefs -> General Preferences).

I'm not too up on what may be causing that problem, and someone else may be able to comment further.

However the problem you encountered (and detailed) in your original post was being caused because you had specified the wrong URL.

Instead of....

> . net from http://www.indiana.edu/~jsl650/stata/

You should try....

net from http://www.indiana.edu/~jslsoc/stata
net install spostado

However this may still fail if you do not have your Internet Preferences correctly configured.

HTH's

Neil

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" - Ernest Rutherford
* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/