Re: st: RE: keyboard behavior

Subject   Re: st: RE: keyboard behavior
Date   Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:22:21 -0400 (EDT)

Nick,

I am sorry that me English is not that guud... I kind of believed "typing"
meant "I was entering a command in the Command window". And of course the
Results window won't be inventing anything that the Command line was not
supplying.

The font was MS Sans Serif with Cyrillic script (the only option
available). The behavior did not change when I switched to FixedSys... and
the font did not change, either, by the way!!!

I figured out the problem might be coming from the MS Word that was also
running separately in another window. For some reason, MS Win XP decided
to do me a great favor, and started replacing the quotes in every
application it could. It cannot replace it in the terminal window with
pine mail program running in it, where I am typing... if you know what I
mean... this message now. It does in Stata, or the Do-Editor.

I think I was coming across something related when I was not able to enter
a very natural stuff like `a' either into Stata, or into my editor
(WinEdt), or into both. The `a part was replaced into "a" with a grave...
&agrave;, if that can be rendered in the HTML formatting mail programs. I
think I had to type, symbol-by-symbol, `-a- -' with a space in the middle
to let Windows know that I want that part to be entered without the
accent. That's all so insane.

Anyway, the magic of getting the nice quotes disappeared once I restarted
Stata. Good for me that I did not have a 200Mb dataset with 15 estimation
results in memory.

> I don't think anyone knows who to blame
> without more information. Is this
> happening in the Command window, the
> Results window, or where? What fonts
> are you trying to use in what windows?
> Nick
> n.j.cox@d...
>
> Stas Kolenikov
>
> > as I was typing something like
> >
> > if <a string variable> ~= ""
> >
> > the first quote sign became a nice ``, and the second one was changed
> > into equally nice pair of closing ''. Guess Stata liked it? Hm.
> > Negative. Do I blame Microsoft, or do I blame Stata, and how do I turn
> > this off? I am using XP Home Edition, if that matters (I got around by
> > switching to Russian keyboard layout, but I am not sure everybody on
> > the list have this luxury.)
> >
> > Stata/SE 8.2 for Windows
> > Born 23 Jul 2004

 ---                                    Stas Kolenikov
 --       Ph.D. student in Statistics at UNC-Chapel Hill
 - http://www.komkon.org/~tacik/  -- [email protected]

* This e-mail and all attachments to it are not intended to provide any
* reasonable point of view and was transmitted to you in error. It
* should be immediately deleted by all recipients unless they really
* enjoy communicating with the author :). Other restrictions apply.