Re: st: Nice tables

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Nice tables
Date   Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:58:48 +0100

At 16:22 26/07/2004, Ginger wrote (in reply to Eric):
Hello Eric,

I'd be interested in hearing from other listers of how they make nice tables too.
Here's the way I do it:
This example makes a table comparing the means of two groups (treatment and control). The code below creates column1.out with means and column2.out with standard errors. The rows are the variables var1 var2 and var3. I can open these files using Excel and easily create the tables (especially if you use good variable labels). However, its not as nice as -outreg- for regressions. I'd love to add some code to do a t-test of means (control vs. treatment), add significance stars and append the columns together.
One possibility is to use resultsset-generating programs such as -parmest-, together with -listtext- to make the nice tables (in TeX, LaTeX, HTML or word processor format). Both of these packages are downloadable from SSC, and so are several other packages used with them to make nice tables (and also presentation-ready plots).

Some papers and presentations about these packages is downloadable from my website at

http://www.kcl-phs.org.uk/rogernewson/

which can be accessed either via a browser or via Stata by typing

net from http://www.kcl-phs.org.uk/rogernewson/

In particular, you might like to look at the handout for my presentation "From datasets to resultssets in Stata", given at the 10th UK Stata User Meeting, and my Stata Journal article "Confidence intervals and P-values for delivery to the end user".

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.kcl-phs.org.uk/rogernewson

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/