re: st: variance components from random-effects ANOVA?

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: variance components from random-effects ANOVA?
Date   Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:30:28 -0500

I think you need to work these up from what's left behind by ANOVA, or see if another command does the trick (xtreg?, xtci?). I don't know if recent changes in what's left behind with ANOVA help this effort.

May Boggess discussed code for intraclass correlations with > 1 random effect:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-10/msg00804.html

Here's a blurb from UNC:

http://www.unc.edu/atn/statistical/applications/stata/statafaq.html#q21

"Can Stata perform ANOVA with both random and fixed effects and estimate the variance components?

Yes. Stata has several commands for doing most everything that SAS's proc GLM and proc Mixed. They include the -glm- and the -xt- set of commands. However, I don't believe Stata can estimate variance components in a linear model with more than two levels of random errors (which it can do with xtreg). Although Stata has a "general" ANOVA package, you have to tell it which are the appropriate error terms for testing various effects in complicated mixed and/or partially nested models. Even so, it won't provide estimates of the variance components."

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/