st: Speed problems using Stata 8.2

From   "Kroll, Lars Eric" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Speed problems using Stata 8.2
Date   Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:14:22 +0200

Dear Stata community,

We're going to increase our usage of stata for data analysis at our institute.
Doing this we encountered some speed or performance problems with stata.
It would be nice if someone is able to solve them because FAQ stata.com isn't ;-)

The main question: What is an optimal but non-workstation hardware/ system configuration under Win NT4 SP6 and Win XP Prof. Is stata or the OP-system for stata tuneable (except the memory commands in stata)?

**************
* We tried:  *
**************

DATA
****
Dataset 75MB (Panel wide format) 55,700 Obs. 550 vars]
1)Reshape, recode, generate, replace etc. to
Dataset 17m (Panel multi-record long format) 177,100 Obs. 52 vars (not all vars used from first dataset)]
2) Some (20) tables (content mean X)
3) Some (6) linear and logistic models, a streg ,d(gompertz) model

HARDWARE
*********
PC			 	STATA 8.2	Windows
				set mem	(versions up to date)
P3   0,8 Ghz,  265RAM  	120m		NT 4
P4   2,8 GHz,  512RAM  	120m 		NT 4
P4HT 3,0 GHz,  512RAM  	120m 		XP Prof.
P4HT 3,0 GHz,  512RAM  	340m 		"
P4HT 3,0 GHz,  512RAM  	800m 		"

*************************************************************************************************************
Time approximately: 1) 5 min 2)4 min 3) 5 min !!! ONLY VERY SMALL differences between all configurations!!!!
*************************************************************************************************************

BUT: THERE WERE NO SIGNIFICANT SPEED DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THESE PC AND STATA CONFIGURATIONS
STATA VERSION IS Intercooled STATA 8.2 (1.7.2004). Is there Intel Hyper threading support in Stata 8.2?

What we request are user / stata support recommendations for hardware/software system configurations!
We're using datasets with <10MB, <100MB, and <1000MB.

We already know common answers like "Just use the vars you need".
I think this is a quite common problem with stata but there are no recommendations,

Yours,
Lars Kroll
Lars Kroll
Robert Koch-Institut