Re: st: 64-bit Memory Limits

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 64-bit Memory Limits
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:11:11 -0500

Tim R. Sass ([email protected]) asked about 64-bit versions of Stata:
> A while back Alan Riley posted the following response to a question I posed
> on the Stata list.
>
> "A 64-bit version of Stata is indeed able to allocate more than 4GB of RAM.
> In fact, in theory it would be able to allocate up to 4GB * 4GB of
> RAM--that is, roughly 16 BILLION GB. In practice, of course, no computers
> have that much RAM."
>
> IBM now has an Opteron-based workstation running Linux that can be
> configured with two processors and up to 16GB of RAM (8GB per
> processor).  Am I correct in assuming that Stata would be able to access
> all 16 GB of RAM on such a system (less whatever the OS requires).  In
> other words would it be possible to have a memory value of say 17000M?

Absolutely.  Stata for 64-bit Linux running on an Opteron with enough
memory can allocate as much as the operating system is willing to give it.
With 16 GB of memory on a system, you should be able to allocate 15 GB
or more to Stata assuming there is not much else being done on the system.

> Would the answer be the same if the machine were running 64-bit Windows
> (when a 64-bit Stata version for Windows becomes available)?

Yes, a 64-bit Windows version of Stata, when available, should be
able to allocate a similar amount of memory on a 64-bit Windows machine
with a similar amount of RAM.  We do not yet have an anticipated date
when we think a 64-bit Windows version of Stata will be available.

--Alan
([email protected])